As I opened DivX Mobile Player on my mobile today, I got the message shown to the right.
The current v0.90 version has expired because a new version has been released. The new v0.91 version does not appear to bring about many new additions or changes, but since the old version has now stopped working, you are forced to upgrade regardless.
I have upgraded and basically, there are two way to upgrade: by downloading and installing directly on the handset, or by sideloading – more on that further down.
Here is an excerpt from the release notes, providing information about what is new in v0.91:
Version 0.91 new features:
- New option to disable display of thumbnails
- Improved handling of corrupted videos
- Improved Over-The-Air activation for DivX VOD
- Improved playback position memory
- DivX VOD activation is not currently available using PC Player or Mac Player. The only way to activate a device is Over-The-Air. Activation is only required if you purchase DivX VOD movies. If you haven't purchased a DivX VOD movie, you do not need to activate your device.
- The backlight on the Sony Ericsson w950 stays on at full brightness while playing video. Unfortunately, DMP cannot compensate for this bug in the w950.
- If DMP encounters corrupted videos on your device while trying to display the thumbnail images in the file browser, DMP will disable the thumbnail display and silently exit. You must restart DMP. To ensure you do not have corrupted videos, always create your videos using DivX Converter.
If your videos stutter or stall during playback, check the bitrate. DivX Mobile Player will attempt to play any size video at any bitrate on any device. However, the performance will be limited based on the speed of the processor. DMP will drop video frames as needed during playback which means not all devices will achieve 30 fps for all bitrates. Try converting videos to 24-30 fps, 320×240 resolution, 300 kbps video and 128 kbps stereo audio. Most devices with a 200 Mhz processor (or faster) will play those videos well and it's a reasonable trade off between file size and video quality.
As mentioned initially, use either of the following two ways to download and install DivX Mobile Player v 0.91:
- On handset: Go to mobile.divx.com using your mobile browser and follow the instructions to download and install. As you can see from the screenshots enclosed below, a DivX Labs account (free) is required to access the installation file.
- Sideloading: Go to labs.divx.com on a PC and download the installation file from there. Make sure you get the right one – for a Nokia Nseries, Eseries plus several Nokia xxxx handsets (including 6120 Classic and 6220 Classic) – you need the ‘Symbian OS S60 3rd Edition’. Transfer the installation file to your handset using bluetooth, cable or PC Suite and install.
Since I have a DivX Labs account, I used the first apparoach:
If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!