Great news indeed, although the information I have is rather sketchy. So this is basically a “heads up”:
- Samsung now has a system in place for updating firmware on the INNOV8
- Samsung has released an official firmware update for the INNOV8
It appears the version number of the released firmware is I8510XXHJ3. This version is apparently from October (see how Samsung firmware versioning works) and it is the firmware my INNOV8 arrived with (I8510XXHJ3/I8510L03XEEHJ1 - so no update for me).
Unlike Nokia’s Software Updater, which is a stand alone application, the Samsung Software Updater (SSU) comes as part of Samsung’s PC Studio. It seems the SSU application has only just been added to the latest PC studio version – v. 184.108.40.206.8 (ver. 7.0). The installation file is multi lingual/region, but here are two links for downloading:
- Download Samsung PC Studio from Danish Samsung support site.
- Download Samsung PC Studio from UK Samsung support site.
Since my INNOV8 ran latest firmware I have no idea how the actual update process works, but checking to see if new firmware is available, is very similar to NSU:
- Install PC Studio.
- Start PC Studio – it will prompt you to connect INNOV8 to PC.
- I connected using the USB cable – Windows detects the INNOV8 and installs drivers.
- SSU is one of the options in the main menu of PC Studio.
- Launching it starts a step-wise process very similar to NSU (see image above).
I am hoping the current firmware release is a sort of test and that a major revision is in the works. Since my INNOV8 runs on the I8510XXHJ3 version currently being distributed, I know it has quite a few bugs – including the annoying audio sync problem with video recordings.
If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!