I have just enabled a new theme at this site and it's something I have been meaning to do ever since moving to Wordpress. So far, I have been using the default Kubrick theme (in a slightly modified version, that displays the sidebar on all pages), which is a very nice theme albeit somewhat bland (or maybe that's just beacuse so many people use it?). I have been wanting to use a different theme that was my own and a little more feisty, in comparison to the Kubrick theme.
Now, the way it is with these itches, it is something where it's quite a leap to actually start doing something about it. I have done it by not starting from scratch and by working in small increments, which also is why it has taken me so long.
I started by finding a theme, that would lend itself to customization. After taking a look at a few very comprehensive and complex themes (one theme is described as a
theme suite), I decided to use something simpler that would not require me to spend a lot of time learning the intricate details of the theme. This led me to the Modified Kubrick Full Sidebar Theme, which is based on the original Kubrick theme. I therefore knew the basic layout, CSS and so on, and I knew these to be pretty straight forward and clean cut.
The Modified Kubrick Full Sidebar Theme satisfied my requirement for Wordpress widget support, but I also wanted a theme that made use of the available horizontal space on the screen. The original Kubrick theme (and subsequently also the Modified Kubrick… Theme) is restricted to a width of 760 pixels, to cater to users with 800×600 pixel resolution. According to the statistics collected by Statcounter (it's free…) for this site, only about 1 percent of my visitors use a resolution of 800×600 pixels. To help me come up with a layout to satisfy this requirement, I found my way to this very useful guide to Wordpress themes.
Lastly, I had to come up with colors and shapes for the elements in the layout. I don't believe in engineers doing graphical design since the result is usually pretty horrible. So what I did was to shop around by looking at other themes, either copying or getting inspired by what I liked. The result may still be horrible, but be assured that I at least made a conscious effort to avoid it.
Please feel free to comment on the theme - especially if you come across errors (I'm aware of some IE issues, including custom bullet points and transparent .png's).
If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!